The minimum membership number is set at 5 by the Trust. The maximum number is 9. The Trust has the powers to change this number or amend representation dependent on the needs of the school.
Currently the breakdown of categories set out in the Terms of Reference is
- Up to 2 parent representatives
- 1 Headteacher
- Up to 2 staff representatives (ideally 1 teaching and 1 non-teaching)
- Up to 4 other members as appointed by the Trust
The Local Academy Councils must take due regard of staff and parental consultations for improvement within their settings
The Local Academy Councils work to the Trust’s Scheme of Delegation which outlines their powers and relationship with the Trust Board, CEO and Headteachers.
Local Academy Councils, as part of their governance role within the Scheme of Delegation, have delegated responsibility for four core functions:
- Safeguarding: ensuring that school leaders comply with their duties under legislation
- SEND: ensuring high quality, inclusive education that meets the needs of all pupils.
- Standards: Holding leaders to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and receiving information on the performance management of staff
- Stakeholder engagement: ensuring that stakeholder voice is heard so that decision-making by the Board is supported by meaningful engagement
One further key area of responsibility for the Local Academy Council is as advocates for the growth of or improvements to the school:
- Undertaking analysis of need within their school and providing evidenced business cases to the Trust central team on any requests for additional funding outside of the school’s delegated budget, in line with the Trust budget and financial planning policies.
Local Academy Councils
To find out more about one of our school’s Local Academy Councils, click on the relevant logo below.
Chair: Nicki Quarterman
The Bridge School
Chair: Sue Casey
Chair: Paul Roberts
High Point Academy
Chair: Carl Longmore
Lea Hall Academy
Chair: Helen Redican
Chair: Bren Taylor
The Heights Academy
Chair: Jim Robinson